Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - What Ra finish is on the Zetec head??
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #20
wisebag02
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106740
What I Drive: 2002 ZTS 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 wisebag02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, I've found a shop near me that can shave .020 off my zetec head. Using the formula from the compression ratio thread, I came up with 10.15CR up from the stock 9.6. I'd be happy enough with that- I want to be able to save a little $ still run 89 octane if I want.

And the guy at the shop said I don't have to take the valves out. As long as the cams are out and valves are closed, it wouldn't be a problem. He will mill it, then use a diamond wheel to put on a finish better than 30Ra. I still did something goofy when prepping though: I put a layer of white lithium grease in the crevices around the valves just in case. Also put tape over the ports and installed an old set of spark plugs to keep chips out of there too.

All for $75. I'll keep you guys posted and hopefully have some pics of before & after.