Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Is intake upgrade still worth it without the exhaust upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I got it from a fellow fanatic who probably let it go for less than what it was worth, or that others have asked for it. It's unlikely you'd find the entire cat back exhaust with around 1000 miles for the price I paid. I paid $180 for the parts. As far as I know I haven't heard of anyone else trying this yet on a N/A Focus, so it could be a first. It was a bit of a gamble that it would fit and give the sound I was looking for without much if anything it the way of drone normally. Of course when it was half installed (i.e. the front part only the loose pipe was a bit of a droning mess, and it was much louder after just the front resonator.

There were a few little nuances to getting the parts installed on the N/A 2.0 L GDI Ti-VCT, but nothing too major.

All told factoring in the cost of the tolls to pick it up as well as a tank of fuel, and having the first shop be unable to finish the job yet still charging me nearly all of the money to do the install and having to get a proper down and dirty muffler and exhaust shop finish the simple job it cost me around $350 installed and on the car as you hear it there.

It was cheaper than even the least expensive magnaflow 2.25" hatch catback exhaust I've seen mentioned at 470 in parts through some defunct group buy, other wise that one was usually much more expensive. The FSWerks costs about the same as the magnaflow and as much as the borla if you want the double stealth kit.

Yet so far to me it sounds like it's nearly the perfect balance of sound quality when getting on it a bit, and still near stock quiet when cruising with high manifold vacuum.
Very cool! That's a pretty wise move. I bet if you posted on forums for the ST you could pick one up. If I had the foresight I would have gone that route.
What modifications needed to be made to make it fit?

I wonder how it compares power wise to some of the other exhausts.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat