Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Is intake upgrade still worth it without the exhaust upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
carnage.exe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 112726
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

Points 1,490, Level 21
Points: 1,490, Level: 21 Points: 1,490, Level: 21 Points: 1,490, Level: 21
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
I too am/was hesitant about the noise changes to my vehicle. It's a 4 cylinder econobox, so it shouldn't sound like a monster. I just installed the K&N Air intake kit (got it for like $240 or so on Auto anything by asking if they could honor the 15% off new members), and that included the recharge kit.

It's not too much of a difference in sound level, only when you get on it. It does have a weird rumble around 1800-2000 rpm (probably due to resonant frequency lining up). Cruising and if you stay out of the throttle you can't tell the difference.
It definitely pulls a bit harder, and this intake has been dyno'd to show ~10hp increase by K&N and some owners have shown more than that. As always, YMMV and it depends highly upon your specific engine.
The thread above has a bunch of different intakes, so you can see that the intake alone is definitely worth it if you want a few extra ponies.

I purchased but have yet to install my exhaust kit (will do so in the next few days). I've heard the magnaflow is the quietest of the exhausts, so that's what I went with. I'm hoping I don't have to add/swap out resonators, but I think it should be okay. I'll update if you'd like about sound level. I'm okay with it being grumbly and loud as long as it can be quiet when I need it to.
I too was a bit hesitant about installing the exhaust but after listening to a couple sound clips of the magnaflow, I was sold. It is not loud at all unless, like you said, you "get on it".