Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Is intake upgrade still worth it without the exhaust upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I really don't like the raspy sound of any of the exhaust kits available. Just not my preferance. Is it still worth the money to upgrade just the intke?
I too am/was hesitant about the noise changes to my vehicle. It's a 4 cylinder econobox, so it shouldn't sound like a monster. I just installed the K&N Air intake kit (got it for like $240 or so on Auto anything by asking if they could honor the 15% off new members), and that included the recharge kit.

It's not too much of a difference in sound level, only when you get on it. It does have a weird rumble around 1800-2000 rpm (probably due to resonant frequency lining up). Cruising and if you stay out of the throttle you can't tell the difference.
It definitely pulls a bit harder, and this intake has been dyno'd to show ~10hp increase by K&N and some owners have shown more than that. As always, YMMV and it depends highly upon your specific engine.
The thread above has a bunch of different intakes, so you can see that the intake alone is definitely worth it if you want a few extra ponies.

I purchased but have yet to install my exhaust kit (will do so in the next few days). I've heard the magnaflow is the quietest of the exhausts, so that's what I went with. I'm hoping I don't have to add/swap out resonators, but I think it should be okay. I'll update if you'd like about sound level. I'm okay with it being grumbly and loud as long as it can be quiet when I need it to.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat