Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - What sorts of problems has your Focus experienced?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #469
Kodyston
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112498
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3; Zetec; MTX-75

Points 619, Level 12
Points: 619, Level: 12 Points: 619, Level: 12 Points: 619, Level: 12
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Kodyston Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenban View Post
I can't comment on the noise but there is no issue with the fact that the car can roll backwards on a hill. The DCT while it mostly works like an automatic transmission is in reality a manual transmission, except in this case the car operates the gears for you. Any manual will roll backwards on a hill even if it is in gear. You must either keep your foot on the brake or push on the gas some. Before automatic transmissions all cars worked this way. All manual transmissions still do.

To answer the question... "Isn't a car supposed to stay still when in drive when the brake is released?" No, the point of taking your foot off the brake is to allow the car to move. Your supposed to have the brake on at all times you don't want the car to be moving.

To assist people who are not familiar with driving a stick shift the car actually continues to apply the brakes for either 2 or 3 seconds after you release the brake pedal so that you have a chance to get your foot on the gas on a hill.
Very well put. I agree.