Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer829 View Post
So my car has been driving awesome for the last 2 years, but today something weird happened. I sped up in 2nd gear and got to around 6k rpms and when I put it in neutral to coast, the car died. I got some groceries, got in the car and tried it again thinking maybe I did something, but the exact same thing. I tried it in 1st gear and got my rpms to around 6k and it was fine.

Also, the car turns on fine right after it happens like nothing ever happened. It just dies, then coasts and I turn it back on real quick. Accelerates normal and drives fine
It sounds like the engine is being starved for either: Air, fuel, or a spark to ignite them all.
It could be a lot of potential things. The fuel pump, the fuel filter (cheaper to replace!), dirty MAF, dirty throttle body, or a myriad of other things.

The fact that you say it runs fine, but will stall out, and then start up again fine like nothing happens makes me agree with wintuk. It is probably fuel related.

You should definitely look into replacing the fuel filter. They are generally in the $20 USD range.
According to my local auto parts stores costs, it falls closer around: $10.

You can also go to auto parts stores, and borrow (100% free! No tax) a fuel pressure tester, and use the schrader valve (if you have one) on your vehicle to check.