Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #55
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCus View Post
After doing some research, which didn't take long as you can see, I think the shift tower roll pin broke. When I took the shift cables off the do the swap I did mess with the adjustments on accident thinking I needed to depress them to remove the cables. So I'm guessing that although the gears seemed to select pretty well, doing that mis-adjusted the cables and put extra stress on that pin and it sheared. Since I can pull the shift tower fairly easy, I'll do that this weekend and have a look. If that's not it I'm at a loss. But if that is the case, another trip for Ford's tranny fluid and a cv seal replacement will be next on the list. Ughh..
The shift tower? If you don't know how to remove it: It's REAL easy.
I removed the center of my cabin long ago. I don't use those "cup holders" anyway. I don't have the rear seats in either.

Here's a video showing how to disassemble the shift tower plate (which is like $35 for a new OEM one?):
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Good luck.