Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #52
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109390
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I missed a little bit of a tiff on here I see. I was referring to the transmission fluid though, not the clutch. I bled the clutch but that wasn't the fluid I was referring to. I got the Ford manual transmission fluid today. 21 dollars a quart. So I filled it up, put the battery back in and fired it back up. It started fine, backed out of the garage on its own power, and the clutch felt great. However I did notice a slow drip from the drivers side where the cv axle goes into the transmission. I have that seal but for some reason didn't change it. Anyway, took it for a test drive, after about 3 minutes of driving through the neighborhood I was making a left turn when it stalled out. I restarted it, and the transmission wasn't doing anything. As in, the shifter was in gear, the shift linkage all the way to the transmission is good, and I can shift it by hand from under the hood, but it doesn't grab in any gear. No grinding sounds that I can hear, just nothing. The fluid was leaking out of that seal a little quicker at that point, but no more than a steady drip and with the minimal driving I had done, it couldn't have lost more than a quarter of a quart. If I put it in gear and attempt to accelerate the car doesn't move but the speedometer does climb. So my thoughts are either the drivers side CV axle popped out (which seems unlikely, as the splines on it are quite long) or the replacement transmission went out. Possibly the linkage broke inside the transmission? If that's the case I won't be fixing it again. I've already deemed this job too much of a pain to repeat. If it's something I can fix by any means short of removing the transmission I'll do it, otherwise I'll sell it and hope to break even. Does anybody have any ideas what would cause symptoms like this?