Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Timing tool stuck!
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Deus Machina
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100167
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Deus Machina Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sailor, you're saying I can get to it through the oil pan? It's a 2.0 DOHC if that matters.
In that case, it won't be bad. It's due for an oil change anyway. If I can see it, I'm certain I could just bend it and remove it.

The reason I bent it is because the guide I was following recommended that I could "just use the timing pin to lock it" to break the gear loose. Obviously this isn't the case and that guy must have just been lucky, but then I still have to break the cam gear free. A friend let me borrow an impact gun for this, but it's tough working on a 2-gallon air compressor without nearby access to power.

The pin won't turn, but the motor will; it only locks the crank in one direction now. It's a knurled top to it, now a hex, or I would have put a socket on it and tried removing it through torque. My hobby is machining, so I could easily re-tap the hole.

This is just the most aggravating thing because it was going surprisingly smoothly up to that point, and it would have been the matter of an afternoon to get it timed and back together. Guess I should have just used a scrap of steel bar and the screwdriver TDC trick, instead of trying the easy way.