Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Timing tool stuck!
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This happened to an English member close to three years ago now, "Crank Pulley Removal" was in the thread title if I remember right....

His timing kit had a "lock pin" as well as the timing pin and the thicker "lock" pin ended up bent beyond removal through the threaded hole....

Pan removal, cutting off the bent pin so the threaded part could be removed, flushing the bottom end with solvent to remove metal cutting debris, oiling it up again B4 reassembly to prevent a "dry start".... Got pretty involved & the stuck pulley STILL had to be dealt with.... (and all in a driveway where he had to lock up everything when not working on it...)

It's worth working quite a bit to get a wrench on that thing to loosen it & try to remove from the top if it's just stiff in there. If you turned the engine enough to bend it right over so it won't turn, you're stuck with removal from the bottom. Hopefully the thinner timing pin can just be broken off so you don't have the grinding job & debris to deal with.....

'Fraid amc is right that a bit more reading & understanding of the procedure could have prevented this, don't kick yourself so hard you can't chill out & do a well thought out recovery from the mess you have to deal with now! Only way to never goof is to never try, and we've all broken SOMETHING at one time or another....

When it happened to me (bustin' something by accident for example) I tried to remind myself I was STILL saving money over paying someone to do the job (and maybe paying for THEIR mistakes as well) just so I could calm down, fix the screw-up, and finish it right in the end!

We've seen plenty of folks bust cam ears trying to torque the sprockets using the bar as a holder. The cam has a spot for a wrench to "counter" the torque of locking THEM down while the bar is just for location....

Hope this doesn't become a long 'saga" for you! keep asking questions & thinking about how to get-r-done right step by step 'till it's buttoned up & working again.

To paraphrase a quote from "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Repair", that little pin is worth the value of the whole engine right now so it's WORTH spending the time & effort needed to get it right again.

Luck!