Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Woot Woot! Goodbye to my LAST Ford car!
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #45
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good luck with the dart. After terrible luck on a few family dodges, I would never buy one.
My parents still have a 2004 durango. It's a hell of a machine, but I don't think we've gone a year without a major overhaul. This year it was the transmission and cracked axles, it had a fantastic "feature" of dashboard electronic caused fires, and it dropped a rod ruining the engine at 101k miles (with a 100k mile warranty). This was plagued by alarm issues where it would randomly set off the alarm. It was particularly great when it went off at 3am on christmas morning. Eventually, the keys stopped working to turn it off (you usually can start the car to turn it off), and I had to pull the alarm fuse to stop the horn from honking. I remember coming out of high school and having to pop the hood and pull a fuse to turn the alarm off as it's blaring and everyone is walking out to leave. That caused some funny looks in a school with 2500 kids or so. They replaced an alarm module (to the tune of $500 plus labor), and "fixed it." I don't think there's much that's original on the damn thing anymore.

Having said that, it is a hell of a car. It tows a ridiculous amount, and I've towed ford trucks that got stuck while towing a 30 foot boat. On two wheels (the rear were spinning like crazy from mud).

Before that we had a dodge ram with one issue after another. Mostly smaller, but things like the hood release breaking and not opening.

The dart does look like a nice car, but unless dodge as truly changed I wouldn't drive one. Additionally, I don't know if fiat is know for being the most reliable either.

Hell, I was so turned off by the dodges that I almost didn't consider the focus, but I'm glad I gave ford a chance. They have a very competitive lineup.