Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - SRI to cold for cold weather driving
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukttape View Post
I have the Roush intake not the Steeda so I don't have an insert to put in.

The duratec pulls air from the crack between the hood and the grill with the stock setup as well as being a big plastic box that does allow for some engine heat to leach in where as the Roush intake is a big powder coated steel heat sink just stays cold because of the air flow in and around it.

I put the HID ballast in the heat shield to warm up the shield and air just enough so that the oil coming in from the breather hose doesn't muck with the throttle body when cruze is disengaged with the clutch. Also since the filter is drawing much more O2 dense air than the stock intake the car runs lean at higher RPMs/Speeds. Next winter I'm going to put an arm band around the smaller filter to lessen the air flow a bit to help with lean issue.

Please don't bash something until you fully understand it.

Thus the removing of the stock snorkel and putting a blocker in that slot of the intake heat shield.
It seems you might need some help understanding..

I can guarantee you that the air coming in from the stock intake is colder than the air of a short ram. Have you ever logged IAT's? I doubt it. The only thing the SRI helps with is lessen intake restriction. It certainly doesn't pull in colder air..

The next thing is the colder air IS NOT making your car run lean. The car has the capability to inject the correct amount of fuel for huge amounts of varying conditions including air temp, elevation, load, etc etc. The list goes on and on. If its off, the O2 sensor registers it and the ECU makes a correction one way or another. If your car is running lean or has a lean code i'd start looking at the diameter of that MAF tube of your SRI as the prime suspect, not intake temps...

I also seriously doubt your MAF is freezing... That just isn't how the sensor works. The sensor has a hot wire in it whose resistance increases or decreases depending on how much air is flowing past it thereby cooling it. The more air, the cooler the wire gets, and the resistance decreases. This is how the ECU determines how much air is actually being ingested by the engine.

If your car indeed is running lean, that aftermarket MAF tube is your problem.