Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - If you DCT issues, this will interest you...
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #24
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
No wonder some owners have trouble getting mileage as good as testers do for the EPA numbers.

I thought the DCT is already "trained to shift for the best possible mileage" if left on its own without driver intervention. Do you know whether testers used the select shift feature at all in tests for the current mpg results?

I'm not as certain as you are that the EPA would be willing to ignore the possible fuel economy impact of a "teach mode" like what spektrum2 has suggested, but I'm just speculating. If you have insider knowledge of how the EPA or carmakers work, I'll take your word for it. If they would ignore it, they could just skip testing and stick with the current DCT test results.

After giving more thought to the "teach mode", I think that even if adding it improved fuel economy, Ford would not want to until after they get their current problems resolved. Adding complexity with any new user (previously known as "driver") involvement would make that
harder. Those pesky "users" always find ways to mess stuff up and give software designers nightmares. ("We never imagined the users would do THAT! Tell them to not do that.")
There's probably lots of behind the scenes reasons why they they would'nt try something like that from thier perspective ,but it would be one heck of a feature in my eyes if only as an option.They could still have parameters like they do now for select shift where the computer will shift before any damage occurs.We have robotic arms at work that you train by manually going through the motions with a joy stick and the computer simply stores the co-ordinates as you go,so from a software point of view a shift program would be pretty basic compared to that.Anyway..just my wish list