Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - MTX75 Final Drive Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I found the gearing on the MTX-75 to be too short personally, but I can't see why if its the same gearbox that the final drive from another MTX-75 equipped Focus would work if it wouldn't interfere with the axles that is.
Yeah, that's really what I'm wondering. Replacing stuff like pinion gears etc is okay, but a complete axle refit is pricey. Considering I've got the idea in my head that down the line, I want to put in an Exedy clutch in this car, and maybe a 1.5-way LSD, if I'm going to crack it open to do that, a final drive swap might not be a bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
Should work but to be honest I find that the gearing is already to short. 3000+ rpm on the highway kills gas mileage as a 4.06 and youll go up another 800-1000.

A LSD would also be nice but without supporting power mods I dont see the point in it yet.

The 4.06 would make it slightly quicker at the cost of a decent amount of highway mpg.
I'm not terribly worried about highway MPGs. The car as it stands is outperforming its EPA targets even with an intake and exhaust on the car. Dunno if that'll stick when a 4-1 header goes on, and when, eventually, tuning and more parts become available. As for the LSD, I think that it'd at least be better than relying solely on that brake-eating e-diff...

Yeah, I'm aware that if this were done, I'd have a real crackpot III on my hands.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie