Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - MKIII PZEV mpg on e85?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdakiller View Post
When I asked someone at the dealer they told me I needed to have a pzev engine to be able to run e85.
You needed the flex fuel engine to run E85, so it sounds like the dealer is misinformed. PZEV= Partial zero emissions vehicle. Due to the cleaner exhaust system it seems that none of the PZEV models came with the flex fuel fuel lines, sensors, and injectors. If your car is a flex fuel model it can run E85, but if it says no E20-E85 on the fuel filler neck then your car was either a standard 2012 that can't run E85, or a PZEV which also should not run the fuel as it could cause damage to the fuel system or engine which would not be covered by warranty.

Due to the second catalyst of the partial zero emissions vehicles it cleans the exhaust better, but apparently burning the E85 would not pass the requirements.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...rchtyp=yearAfv

On E85 the car was rated at 20 city and 28 mpg highway for a combined rating of 23 mpg. Ergo its not very efficient at all compared to the standard 28 city 33 combined 38 mpg highway with the 6DCT250