Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2000-2004 Ford Focus Rear Tire Wear
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #32
mickeyaaaa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111009
What I Drive: 2006 Blood Red ZXW SES Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 mickeyaaaa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
rear camber cheapest fix worked for me

I had a 2002 focus wagon with SEVERE rear camber problem. I got ripped off by the former owner he must have put some used tires on it because there was no wear when i bought it but within 1000 km or so it was shredded on the inside edges of the 2 rear tires with steel belting sticking out - it could have easily blown on the highway and killed me! took it to the dealership and they nicely replaced my front springs for free (recall, different issue). Told me the rear camber was way off spec, like 3 deg. or so due to worn springs.

new springs $200 AND control arms were not in the budget for such an old car, The control arm bolts were pretty well seized, so this would have been a very costly fix (time &/or $$$).

So i did some research and found this solution that fixed it perfectly.

MOOG Rear Camber Adjustment Kit (Amazon $65.86)
Product ID: MOOG-K80002
"Problem Solver Alignment Shim; Allows 1/2 to 1 degree of + or - camber adjustment."

I installed these shims but cheated and used both shims to get 1.5 deg. of adjustment i think (memory bad). used threadlocker on the bolts as there was not as much thread biting, but still seemed solid.

then since i needed tires i got tires and a wheel alignment - after that i put at least 60,000 kms on it before i sold the car. all tires wore perfectly normal after that and handling seemed great.

There you have it, cheapest cheap fix for the focus rear wheel camber tire wear issue for 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 wagon.

since the car served me very well after this issue and a timing belt, i just last week upgraded to a 2006 wagon...does anyone know if the 06 can also suffer the rear camber issue? I have a lot of road noise but otherwise it seems perfect.