Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Head Bolts - Tighten a bit more?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
shjeeper
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66435
What I Drive: 2002 Charcoal Ford Focus SE 2.0 SPI

FF Reputation: 1 shjeeper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg127 View Post
Please tell me this is a joke.
You are not serious are you?
If you are serious, you need to put any tools you have down immediately and step back from the car. Please call a professional.
The head bolts have nothing to do with your compression. Compression is a function of valve timing, ring wear and swept to clearance volume.
Your compression is fine.
#1) This forum isn't just for professionals right? We both know the answer to that - which means that DIY people may discuss options here. So instead of implying that I have no idea what I'm talking about (and/or stupid), correct me where I'm wrong and keep your childish comments to yourself. We all begin with little/no knowledge on turning a wrench, and we learn by asking questions.

#2) Low compression can be caused via a blown head gasket.

So now lets step back and think about this, if the head bolts aren't tightened correct you could end up with a warped head.. or just a head that isn't tightened completely, resulting in the head gasket not sealing completely. So while the compression is within specs, I'm wondering about the possibility of tightening the two head bolts to the left of the 1st cylinder. Doing so would further compress the head gasket a bit more. I'm thinking only 1/10th of a turn, but I'd like some input on it.