Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2005 ST 2.3 Rod Knock
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
forddiesel1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106506
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 forddiesel1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USARice View Post
Welcome to the club, my rod knock started at under 30k and got progressively worse. Ford claimed they couldn't hear it so I just had to deal with it. Never affected driveability. At about 50k I pulled the pan and found the #1 bearings were shot. The whole time I had metal flakes. I actually did replace the #1 bearings with Clevites and it went away for a very short time. And then came back, presumably because the crank journal was out of round. I have a thread on here somewhere that includes pictures of the bearings. As for the whole crank thing, everything I read suggested that the crank would be out of round too and would need to be replaced. I ended up replacing the whole engine with one with 14k. Oh, and I did the BSD at the same time I replaced the bearings since I had the pan off anyways and yes, it did come with increased vibrations. I don't remember where I found what the torque specs were for the rod ends but I did and the 26+90 seems familiar. Or at least the +90 does. Sorry not much help but I will dig through my favorites and see if I find the link.
Thanks for the help. I'm mentally preparing myself for an engine replacement or maybe a rebuild, but as I'm sure you found the 2.3 engines aren't exactly cheap or plentiful. It looks like at the least I'm looking at a grand for a pulled engine and probably close the same (850 or so) for a rebuild. I can do the labor myself over the summer. Best case scenario: $150 or so for bearings. Worse case scenario?? We'll see. Thanks in advance for any links or archives you can provide. I really appreciate the warm welcome thus far.