Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2005 ST 2.3 Rod Knock
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
USARice
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56127
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST, DD and AutoX

Points 2,305, Level 29
Points: 2,305, Level: 29 Points: 2,305, Level: 29 Points: 2,305, Level: 29
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 USARice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Welcome to the club, my rod knock started at under 30k and got progressively worse. Ford claimed they couldn't hear it so I just had to deal with it. Never affected driveability. At about 50k I pulled the pan and found the #1 bearings were shot. The whole time I had metal flakes. I actually did replace the #1 bearings with Clevites and it went away for a very short time. And then came back, presumably because the crank journal was out of round. I have a thread on here somewhere that includes pictures of the bearings. As for the whole crank thing, everything I read suggested that the crank would be out of round too and would need to be replaced. I ended up replacing the whole engine with one with 14k. Oh, and I did the BSD at the same time I replaced the bearings since I had the pan off anyways and yes, it did come with increased vibrations. I don't remember where I found what the torque specs were for the rod ends but I did and the 26+90 seems familiar. Or at least the +90 does. Sorry not much help but I will dig through my favorites and see if I find the link.