View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
paulg127
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55998
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 paulg127 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm approaching it from 20 yrs at FMC as a calibrator. There is a right way to do a calibration and a wrong way. The right way is to have the MAF and injectors flowed and characterized. The entire calibration is based on the MAF being correct, right or wrong, and adaptive changes the fueling from there. You are wasting valuable correction info if you turn off adaptive (long term fuel trim). There are many ways to change the adaptive to use it to help you from smoking a piston and helping drivability and verifying MAF and injector slope. The adaptive tells you at a given air mass that the stoich point is shifted the adapted amount.
Why would you not use this information? What do you think the adaptive is there for?

I have not used a mafia so I do not know how it functions.
I do know the calculations, tables, functions, scalars and entire strategy that use the MAF transfer function as a basis and have a hard time relating that the ENTIRE calibration is shifted if the MAF is going through a 'correction' from the mafia.

That would shift the normalizers (load) input to every table (spark, fuel, air) and that seems to be a mess to sort out.