forddiesel1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106506
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 forddiesel1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 ST 2.3 Rod Knock

Hey guys,
Here's my story, I just bought my car in August with 100,000 miles on it. I was a happy camper, but I've slowly been dumping money into this thing. PCV valve replacement, new CAI (stupid Ford non-replaceable design), etc. Tonight I went to change oil and I found several small metal flakes in the bottom of my drain pan. From reading (and searching) the forums here it looks like I too have fallen to the infamous rod bearing experience. I have no reason to believe this car was beat on prior to my ownership. The exhaust was all stock, wheels and tires were all stock. ZERO modifications at all, so I am guessing that the car probably was low on oil at one point and has started this vicious cycle.
Here are my questions. What do I need to do this job successfully? Pulling the pan looks straight forward enough. Is there a pan gasket or do I just use RTV? Also I have found some "heavy-duty" rod and main bearings from clevite for $150. That sounds like a fair price to me. Torque specs for connecting rods? I have reason to believe that the Haynes manuals are pretty much useless for the 2.3 engine. Does anyone have a Ford manual for sale? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm handy with a wrench so I'm not daunted by this undertaking, I just want to make sure I do things the right way the first time.

Cheers,
Jeff