View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #26
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cam install= The way I did mine. I racked the car, pulled the rf wheel, serpentine belt, part of the inter fender. pull the coil pks, plugs & cam cover. Get the #1 at tdc. You will find the #1 int & exh lobes pointing at each other. Underneath= in front of the axle theres a plug in the cam cover, pull that & insert a pin that screws in & butts against the crank. Up top on the back side of the cams is a slot that is offset, put your cam timing bar into the slots= resting on the head.There is a plug up top directly behind the pass motor mount, pull that & insert a 3/16 drill bit into the hole. This will keep the tensioner from springing back. This is where I messed up= forgot to install the 3/16 drill to hold the tensioner & had to pull the cam cover. Add 'bout 2 more hrs. back up top, I used a tie wrap to tie the exh cam gear to the chain & then put a open end wrench on the cam flats of the exh cam & another wrench on the cam sprocket bolt, holding both, loosen the cam bolt & then loosen the intake. Back at the exh, pull the bolt out & let the chain & sprocket "tie wrapped" hang. Mark the cam caps so you know which direction they go. Loosen the cam caps & loosen the ones pointing down last= more spring pressure. Set the caps & bolts so you know which way the go back in. Pull the exh cam out & then do the same for the intake leaving the cam gear on, when you remove the int. cam. Undue the gear off the int & install on new int cam using lock tight on bolt, finger tighten, then using cam lube to lube up the lobes, install the intake cam & snug the bolts down.Great time look compare the cam lobes w/ the oem wimpy ones. Lube up the exh. lobes & install the exh. cam & snug down the bolts. Put the cam timing bar on the back of the cams & the int & exh lobes on #1 should be pointing towards each other. Install the chain around the int sprocket & then install the exh. sprocket & bolt to the exh. cam, using locktight. Torque down the cam caps to spec in order. Then torque the cam sprocket bolts using the open wrench on the cam flats & a wrench on the cam bolts tighten. Undue the 3/16 drill & install the plug & do the same below. Take a wrench & turn the motor over & then check the lash. It should be with in the cam spec's. Raise the car pull the oil filter & plug let drain & install your inter fender liner & rf wheel/tire, then pour your new oil over the cams. Install the cam cover & plugs & coil pkgs. Good time to install new plugs. Fire it up & let run at 1500 rpm for a little bit. When I installed my cams, I forgot 'bout the cam tensioner & wham, I had to pull the cover off & that added about 2 more hrs. Using Mobil 1 5/20 since new the inside of the motor looked really, really clean. Looking at the cam spec's, they look wimpy compared to what I'm use to looking at. I like the 224-0012 spec's better, but I kept telling myself, This is a DD. They have a stock idle & it pulls really good for what it is. I'm happy w/ them. I'm punching this up from memory over a yr ago. I hope this helps you guy's out. Felixthecat
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131