Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 12 Focus Depreciation That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED>
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #53
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
I was simply trying to make the point that a simple number does no justice. If, say, a toyota is the most popular car and there are 10x as many toyotas produced and sold as the focus then you would expect much more trade volume, and a higher number of used toyotas for sale at any given time. If there were just as many Foci for sale in this hypothetical as toyotas a reasonable reaction would be to not accept the hypothesis that there are relatively as many Foci as toyotas for sale. Therefore, comparing these numbers without some sort of weight seems a little hasty.

Sorry if that wasn't clear in my first response.
I was only trying to address the notion many have that there are far more used Foci on the market than any other competitor, likely dumped by the rental fleets, which is why depreciation is supposedly so horrid. All I tried to show is that no, there are not significantly more used Foci on the used lots in the random markets I looked at. Which helps explain why those used Foci asking prices are not significantly lower than the competition.

I'm trying to not make it more complicated than it needs to be for the simple gut check I was attempting. I never claimed this was a thorough statistical analysis. I don't have the free time for that.