Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - ’12 Focus Depreciation – That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED>
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #51
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
When I first read the original post I wondered whether differences in the volume of new sales between brands or locations might affect the results in some way, but with my limited knowledge of statistics I could not identify what the effect might be. Same for differences between brands and cities in the total number of used cars for sale.

You point out that for different volumes "it does not mean the same thing". Can you explain how? I'm not looking for a detailed tutorial on statistics, just a general idea of whether it makes a big difference or not for the purpose that kam327 did the original analysis.
Here's the paragraph I was referencing from the OP
Quote:
Here’s a graph of number of cars on the market. Someone pointed out not long ago that if you search the entire country there are far more used Focuses on market than any other car. True, but in the 5 sample markets I looked at, that’s not true. There are generally no more Focuses on the market than the competition. There must be a market out there somewhere that has tons of them, but I haven’t found it (though Cleveland is pretty high).
I was simply trying to make the point that a simple number does no justice. If, say, a toyota is the most popular car and there are 10x as many toyotas produced and sold as the focus then you would expect much more trade volume, and a higher number of used toyotas for sale at any given time. If there were just as many Foci for sale in this hypothetical as toyotas a reasonable reaction would be to not accept the hypothesis that there are relatively as many Foci as toyotas for sale. Therefore, comparing these numbers without some sort of weight seems a little hasty.

Sorry if that wasn't clear in my first response.