Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 12 Focus Depreciation That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED>
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #50
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 700, Level 13
Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Lot of comments on here over the past couple months on how horrendous the 2012 Focus depreciation is. Worse than any other car out there some have said. I really didn’t know either way so I decided to do a little market analysis with the only tools at my disposal, autotrader.com and truecar.com.

What I found is: No, the depreciation is generally no worse than its main competitors. BUT, that’s after accounting for the fact that the Focus appears to be the most highly discounted car out there. So relative to MSRP, yes the Focus is worth far less than its competitors. But relative to the heavily discounted price most people paid for their Focus, they’re not much worse off, if at all, than they’d be with a competitor. And they could be much worse off (lookin’ at you Cruze).
The problem is that you're comparing the car's trade-in value against its CURRENT sales price. A year ago, people were paying more for a new Focus than they are now.

The presence of incentives to boost sales has lowered resale values for owners.