Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 12 Focus Depreciation That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED>
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #47
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 710, Level 14
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
I don't think this is a matter of critique, it's more that the study is pretty pointless to the extent that the Focus is an econobox and thus depreciation should not be a critical factor. In fact, I'm not altogether certain depreciation should be critical with any car, but I suppose that's a separate conversation.
Correct, the Focus is an "econobox". So are all the others kam327 compares it to here. All else being equal, it's reasonable for someone to factor the likely resale value into their decision on which to buy, "with any car". Probably, as you say, not critical, but maybe still influential. The longer someone keeps a car the less this factor would affect the decision, but not everyone can, or wants to, keep a car a long time.

I normally go a long time between buying cars so it's usually pretty far down my list of priorities when I do. (23 years and 13 years for two I have now, 5 to 17 for prior cars.) There have been exceptions when I discovered something about a car that made me want to get rid of it more quickly. The new Focus is at the top of my list for my next purchase, but from the experience some new Focus owners have had (front suspension clunk, DCT, terrible service from Ford dealer, ...) I've gotten the impression that I'd lose more on it than with another brand if I have to sell it sooner than I normally would. Other buyers give a higher priority (maybe even "critical") to likely resale value because they do not plan to keep a car more than a year or two in any case.

I appreciate the work kam327 has done because it reduced my concern that resale is as big a problem for the Focus as others have indicated. Their impressions have been based on anecdotal evidence, not any methodical analysis like kam327 has done. Despite any criticism others have of his methods, he did the analysis in a more informed and thorough way than I would have been likely to do it. His results are less applicable for anyone considering a Titanium loaded with expensive options rather than an SE with few, but they could copy his method with their own data.