Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Who's considering the Focus Electric?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #93
jmbarbera
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101372
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Electric

FF Reputation: 1 jmbarbera Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I hope you got the plug-in Energi version of the C-MAX. Whether you can do a pure EV or a PHEV, it's about electrifying the routine, daily household miles, even if your electricity is coal powered. Your car is the largest household energy consumer and it's horribly inefficient if gasoline powered. Battery development is not to the point where a pure EV can replace a gas car, but it really doesn't matter. My Focus Electric is a second car. We have a Honda Odyssey for trips to Wally World. We didn't need two cars with 300 mile range so the Focus Electric works well for us.

I drove the C-MAX Energi and it was great, but it just wasn't big enough to replace our cavernous van which can carry 4 people, all their gear, and 4 bikes inside. I hope larger PHEV's become available that can do both soccer mom duty (all electric) and road trip duty (on gas). A PHEV Flex would be perfect.

With the introduction of the Fusion Energi PHEV, Ford will be the only car manufacturer offering three plug-in models. Hats off to them for offering so many choices.

Again, all electric cars don't work for everyone, but it's great to finally have a choice of fuels, breaking the choke hold oil has had on us.

I love my Focus Electric (over 9k miles) and recommend it highly. Price reductions and attractive lease offers make it a very reasonable buy. It's too bad that Ford does not advertise it at all. They might sell more if people even knew they existed.