Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Tutorial: How to install HID's in Fog Lights
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
distroy3d
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85129
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZTS

Points 70, Level 1
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 distroy3d Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkmerc View Post
You prove a great point friend. I will be posting the tutorial for poor people such as myself who cannot buy projector beam headlights. If I cant find a way to use HID's safely in the stock headlight I will revert to halogens and will not be posting anything. :)
Like I said, to each their own. I'm not in your neighbourhood so it won't bother me lol. But regardless, I think you won't be happy with them - especially when you get that first ticket from a cop! There are lots of alternatives to use HIDs safely.

You can grab a set of Machs. They usually go from $200-$350 in varying condition from what I've seen.

You can try to find a set of Hella projectors like the ones in my avatar. They're rare though and aren't designed for HIDs, but take well to them anyways with a good cutoff and no glare. The beam width isn't the best though. I got mine for $200 off Kijiji.

You can try to grab a set of the new Hella projectors that they have group buys for. They're brand new and designed for HIDs if you get the HID version instead of the Dynabeam ones. They're costly though at a tad over $500 I believe.

You can grab a pair of eBay projector headlights for anywhere from $40-$100 and throw an HID kit in. Won't be blinding, but the projectors are low quality and don't do much better than halogens in stock reflectors.

Lastly, you can do a full retrofit. Those are I believe $300 but one of the best quality and most unique setups. If you end up buying HIDs for your reflectors and change your mind, you can save money on the retrofit by using the "Plug-and-Play upgrade to Bi-Xenon" kits from The Retrofit Source and reuse your own ballasts. Saves you about $75 I believe on your retro.

Just some other options for whether you choose you don't like your reflector HID setup. In the end, you get what you pay for.