Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Tutorial: How to install HID's in Fog Lights
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
distroy3d
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85129
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZTS

Points 70, Level 1
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 distroy3d Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkmerc View Post
I got the kit off of some local vendor here in San Diego, but you can get the same kit I did from fleabay. The kelvin color is 6000. Thank you for informing me of the name if the craftsman tool. I don't like the 3000 kelvin color I think it looks tacky. I aimed the fog lights with a machine so they don't blind anyone, so far it works well and it looks good. I will be doing my headlights soon and will be posting a tutorial on that.

I know putting HID's in stock headlights is a touchy subject but aiming them correctly shouldn't blind anyone, in my opinion.
It is a touchy subject I'm not gonna' attack you for it like some people do, but the fact is the reflectors were designed for a small focal point of light from the filament on a halogen bulb. HIDs have an arc of light that compromises the focal point so regardless of how you aim them, it will reflect light upwards into other people's eyes instead of onto the road.

I've seen people who aim them low and it isn't as blinding, but these are usually only in cars with separate high/low beams such as my friend's Prelude and some of the newer Civics. From what I've seen of Focuses who do this (in comparison to say, Civics which have separate high/low bulbs) is since the bulb uses an arc of light, it lights up where the high-beam filament would be on a stock H4 bulb making the consequences even worse than if it were in a single-filament bulb. But that's just my opinion. I'll see if I can find a pic I saw before of a Focus using HIDs in their reflectors and how the high-beam is lit up in a way where no matter how low you aim them, you will be blinding someone.

In the end, to each their own I suppose. I don't attack people who do it, but I do try to inform them of what they are doing and how in the end it negatively impacts everyone, even themselves as they probably get less usable light on the road as opposed to high-performance halogen bulbs, like Hella and Piaa bulbs.

EDIT:
Here's the pic of a guy with 6,000K bulbs in his Focus. You can see how high the hot-spot from the HID bulb is and how it just floods the entire area above the car. It isn't concentrated at all on the road. This is why I don't believe you can aimyour headlights down enough to make HIDs useful with on-the-road light and not blind people.