Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - ’12 Focus Depreciation – That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED>
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #42
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Your more traditional methods, in my humble opinion (as an engineer and MBA) would not have increased the accuracy of the results enough to justify the extra work. That’s a basic cost-benefit analysis.
Your cost-benefit analysis seems wise to me. A guy I once worked for told me, "Don't measure something with a micrometer if you're going to cut it with an axe." (figuratively)

Thanks for the work you've done with this and for sharing it. I found it very enlightening and accurate enough for my purposes. I was worried about the "conventional wisdom" that the Mk3 Focus would have a higher cost to own due to higher depreciation, but that appears not to be true for the SE trim level I'm interested in buying. That is, as long as I negotiate a reasonable deal in the first place. You helped me understand where that target is, too.

I'm guessing that a higher cost Titanium loaded with expensive options would experience worse depreciation. It seems that anyone interested in one like that should consider using that to their advantage by buying it used rather than new.