gdcwatt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86077
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 gdcwatt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfmoble View Post
Both my rear rotors are wearing like crazy, Fronts seem fine and no grinding noise from the brakes, I'm taking it in to have them check it out and hopfully fix this problem, I'll keep in touch!
I have what I'd call extreme rotor wear, even though the kids drive slowly, and I'm light on brakes (2012 SE with Sport Pkg). Before the 1st oil change (about 4,000 miles) I noticed significant groves on each rotor. I tried to rebed the brakes, and things looked better. I mentioned it to the dealer a short while later, and we agreed that things looked ok. The grooves continue to appear, but I regularly rebed and when changing between snow tires and summer rubber, I use garnet sandpaper on the outside, which also helps (I use garnet sandpaper on my Acura twice a year, too, to remove deposits which give that pulsing brake pedal, but the Acura's rotors have never looked like the Focus'.)

The rears seem to show greater wear, and my bedding the rears involves driving backwards and several hard stops; the autotrans/computer seems to limit how fast I can drive in reverse.

Still, after 20,000 miles, the brakes still work great. But I was actually found this thread while researching replacements, for when it's time for a change...and while that may be in a while, I will continue to watch my rotors, rebed, and sand twice a year.