Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Transmission Shaking
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #726
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
You can go look at the 172 step inspection form, it does have a check box for shift quality and noise, but not one for clutch inspection. It's basically all the stuff any reasonable person would do with a carfax and a test drive.

It doesn't give me much confidence that it would catch a bad clutch and it gives me zero confidence it would catch a problematic transmission.

Ford needs to communicate the root cause of the failures and the fix. The seals that leak, why do they leak? Why will a new seal last if the first one didn't?

Honestly, I would avoid a used focus with a DCT for now, until we know they can be reliable. There is a reason a 1 year old car is for sale.
There are many reasons why a 1 year-old car is for sale.

Indeed, I had bought a 2009 Focus and didn't change my mind in the 72-hour turnaround time. Because I skimped on stability control, antilock breaks, and other features.

Two spinouts later, I decided to bite a very big bullet and trade in for a 2012.

I'm glad I did; this winter has been a doozy and it's saved my bacon and the bacon in my buddies on a couple of occasions too.

It is just as feasible that I could have bought in 2011, and trade in the next year out of the same sense of naivety and ignorance that led me to think that a car in a cool icy climate without traction control and the rest would be great under all conditions. My bad, but the 2012 has been nice in so many other ways.

But there is understandable concern with the DCT. For now, it's just a fear. Fear based on inference and supposition.