ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmartene View Post
Yeah, the screen should support video - it has a startup animation so why wouldn't it? That being said, I don't see a reason for them to put the proper inputs inputs into it. But I don't want to tear my car apart to find out. So if anyone gets the nerve up and figures this one out, let me know. I'd also be interested to know how to get it to switch to the camera input when in reverse once it was wired correctly - you'd have to wire power to the reverse lights on the back end, and then figure out how to make it default to override any other input while it was on.

I'm not a fan of the clip-on rearview aftermarket screens, and I don't want to add an extra screen that's hanging out on my dash full-time. Help me, Focus Fanatics. You're my only hope.
The screen itself is probably something simple like a LVDS connection to the module. The module, probably running some sort of ARM processor, probably has a built-in loading animation as part of the firmware/onboard memory. It might not even be in a standard "consumer-based" universal video format (i.e. MP4). Basically, what I'm getting at, is the module might not have capability of accepting/decoding video input to display on the screen.

That being said, if the screen actually is a LVDS connection, it would be super easy to create a bridge between the module and screen. As part of that bridge you add a video decoder and set it up to decode a backup camera in reverse and pass-through the Sync module all other times.

Please stop giving me ideas! I want to spend my money on mods... not hacking Sync! Seriously though... I think I could do a lot of this...