Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2001 Ford Focus SE (SOHC)
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

Points 341, Level 6
Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjohnson View Post
UPDATE: Well, she's back on the road!!! Ended up rebuilding the head, new timing belt, two new motor mounts, new water pump, new IAC valve, new pcv valve and hose, and new side mirror. Purring like a kitten. [total cost: $1200]

Now thinking about changing the transmission fluid/filter. It hasn't been done before and car has about 110,000 miles. Anyone think this would be a mistake?? Really hate to screw up the tranny after just spening so much $$$ to get her going again...
My rule of thumb ; if you like what YOU have in that vehicle......keep it and be ready to keep the repair juice going. She's paid for, so if it breaks.......just fix it until the day comes when you won't. As said earlier though......for the $1200.00 bucks you may have done a zetec swap......and believe me and everyone else.......she would really be a 'keeper sleeper'. But, you have just breathed new life into a car that some others wouldn't. With that, I say, change the tranny fluid with confidence. And when the tranny needs cpr.... get another one and put it in. Used cars always reach the point of part replacement....rebuilds and such. I have a 04 sedan (zetec) and I'm investing in a complete front and rear suspension rebuild just because I want to put new rims / tires on.........these cost more than what I gave for the car used.