lorddave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110556
What I Drive: 2001 Green Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lorddave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
If it's a rental, it is highly unlikely any warranty work has been done including software updates. I personally would never buy a rental car but to each their own. There is a lot of information in these forums about the transmission and mine is horrid. My advice is DO the research here and formulate your own decision.
Thanks. I'll definitely do that. And I can ask the dealership to make sure all the software updates were done prior to us buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology
Only some of the issues have been addressed, namely rolling back on hills. Some rough gear changes, grinding, etc have not been fixed unless the clutches were found to have lots of wear and tear or oil contamination.
For 33k miles, the transmission will exhibit any quirks off the bat, unlike those of us who bought new and had to find out after a few thousand mile break in period.
I would listen for grinding between gear changes, how smooth the shift is, especially from a stop, if the car rolls back on hills (probably not easy to reproduce in Florida), etc.
We're in New York so hills shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info and advice. Should I ask the dealer if the clutch has been changed?