Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Steering wheel vibration AFTER a balance and rotation???):
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #31
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkrazy2007 View Post
You are very much correct!! I have a lot of work to do on my lovely car. I love it so I'm gonna do my best to keep her in the best condition possible. And of course I care about my life and the safety of others as well. Its just the type of person I am. I pretty much try to do as much as I can afford (as I have plenty of bills, payments, etc). Step one: Matching tires. To be honest, it was mismatched when I purchased the car. I just noticed it wasn't the same size as the others about 3 or 4 days ago. ):
In a pinch, you can always get one tire to replace the tire that is the incorrect size. That's certainly far better than having mismatched tire sizes, as that can be unsafe. If the other three tires on the car are all the same size and the same brand and model, then just purchase one tire to match those other three. Keep in mind too that tires can differ in their speed ratings. There is a P195/60R-15 with an S, T, H and V speed rating. The size of the tire is the same between the different speed ratings, but the handling can be very much different between them. So make sure the speed rating of the one new tire matches the other three as well. In the P195/60R-15 size for your car, the speed rating is supposed to be a T. This will be found on the sidewall of the tire and it will read like this --> P195/60R-15 87T. Look at your tires and see. The 87 is the load index of the tire, which just indicates the safe load carrying capacity in pounds the tire will carry.

To check the original equipment size and speed rating tire for your car, I went to http://www.TireRack.com ,looked up your 2008 Ford Focus SES and made an interesting discovery; according to their tire guide, your car is supposed to have a P205/50R-16 tire size and it is the SE and S models of that year that are supposed to come with the P195/60R15 size that is on your SES now. Something seems to be amiss here.

With you buying the car used, it is possible that someone switched the rim sizes so they could install the smaller and less expensive tire size, (about 45% lower in price). To verify if this is what has happened and your car has the wrong size tires on it, look for the tire placard for your car, which is a small, square, gray or white decal about the size of the palm of your hand. The tire placard will list the size of the tires that are supposed to be on your car, as well as the air pressures they should be inflated to. The tire placard is usually located on the end of the drivers door, near the latch. It can also be on the end of any of the other doors, on the back of the glove box door, on the underside of the trunk/hatch lid or on the back of the fuel filler door. If that tire placard says the car is supposed to have the P205/50R-16 tire size, someone took off the correct size tires and rims from your car.

Let me know what you find out.