Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Transmission Shaking
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #714
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Unfortunately, dealer service will screw up even an oil change sometimes. What Ford can do to improve that is another discussion altogether.
Sorry, but we don't even know if this was the dealers fault, it could be that the transmission casting was bad where the seals sit, or the shaft was warped, or any number of other issues that could have affected longevity.

Also, the main point is that we have no idea how reliable these transmissions are long term, what the normal clutch change interval is, what the real failure rate is, what the root cause of the high failures is, and what the future impact is.

We don't know what's going to happen when the thousands of fleet and rental cars with this transmission get pushed out to used car lots.

We do know Ford isn't really helping, that they have quietly replaced low milage failed clutches and transmissions and bought back cars without releasing much more than "It's normal" as to root cause.

I don't have much confidence that this transmission is reliable. Even if DCT's are here to stay, it doesn't mean this particular one is, or that it won't be just a much more expensive version of the Mark II ignition switch debacle.

So, all this "it's not that bad an issue" stuff aside, here are three questions I would like answered.

1. What is the true failure rate of this transmission to date.

2. What are the failure mechanisms that cause seals to leak and clutches to shred?

3. Assuming a properly working transmission with no issues, what is the expected lifetime of the clutch and seals?