View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I love my Spec Stage 2! I've just about run through my second spec Stage 2.

Mine is slipping in 6th gear when freezing cold. It's fine when warmed up, but the parking lot at work to the highway has only 1 stop light and that's it, so it's easy for me to get to the highway still "cold clutch". I go easy on it when cold and it's fine.

I'm going to order a new Spec Clutch & flywheel in the next week or so. Sadly my last clutch was back before the flywheel change, so where as last time I simply got a Spec Stg2 & flywheel friction plate, this time I need a new clutch and flywheel.

My stock clutch/flywheel failed at 45k miles (damn Ford), replaced it with a Spec Stage 2 & Al flywheel, because at the time OEM parts were a 6-8 week back order and it was my only car at the time.

That Stg2 clutch lasted for 70k miles (lots of downtown DC traffic on a kevlar clutch, I didn't expect OEM clutch life).

Replaced with another Spec Stg 2 & flywheel friction pack, this one is now starting to slip in 6th when cold, so I know I'm in for a clutch job soon. Trying to baby the clutch till it warms up a tad and I can start daily driving the Miata while doing a clutch job on the SVTF (MD loves to dump tons of salt on the road, I like to avoid taking a black cloth top out in the winter!)

This current Spec Stg2 clutch has only been on for 60k miles. Though admittedly, I have started using my SVTF as a tow vehicle. So I suspect I've lost 10k miles in clutch life over the previous clutch due to towing bikes.

I'll be looking into a stage 1 organic, since I tow but with the Al flywheel. Crapily due to the post TSB flywheel change I now need to buy another new Al flywheel, instead of a $79 friction pack like last time!