Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Newbie needs help cyl 2 misfire
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,489, Level 30
Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRus View Post
Cindy, your problem is in the spark plug, plug wire or the coil. It explains the misfire over 40 mph, and why the MIL came on when you turned on the AC.
This new guy is probably right (although I don't see how the AC operation would effect a single cylinder), the fact that the misfire happens only after a certain engine load and not at all times means it's probably a specific ignition component and not a problem with the voltage feed or input to the ignition system. It's possible the fuel injector for #2 isn't working right but I doubt it, that would be rare.

If you can live without the car a few days all new ignition components (coil pack, wires, and spark plugs) could be bought online for less than $100, and I think would solve your problem without getting into further diagnosis, the existing stuff isn't all bad but further complicated diganosis would be needed to narrow it down.