Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Best headlight / HID options for poor headlights on 2007 Focus?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernation08 View Post
............I mean come on get real if there not legal then how are they pulling them in almost every new car that's worth a shit now days don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining lol
Tiime out, please. I didn't say factory HID's are illegal!!!!!!!! They have been legal for about 20 years.

I am saying that an aftermarket HID conversion is totally illegal unless the manufacturer has bonafide DOT certifications for OEM apps (shown in print). No manufacturer in their right mind would keep certifications secret and only whisper about them on the phone. DOT certification would be extremely unlikely unless the OEM offered HID's for the particular application and the aftermarket mfr cloned them or the system costs over $750/pr. In the case of cloning to simplify and/or reduce costs of certification, the OEM would surely sue the aftermarket manufacturer for patent infringement.

There are only a tiny number of bonafide headlight manufacturers outside of the OEM offering DOT certified HID's and Hella is one of them. Depo's (wildly popular for BMW) are not approved either.

From Depo website:

Every jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. XENON HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT approved. HID conversion kits are not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.