Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Best headlight / HID options for poor headlights on 2007 Focus?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernation08 View Post
Well lets see I have passed both USA and German Insp ..........
Nobody is checking your headlight pattern or lumens during inspection, so you will pass as I admitted. A German inspection of your car does not make the lights US legal by any stretch. My cars pass inspection with many issues. I doubt if they'd catch off-road bulbs in either country. I know folks with inspection licenses and I never heard of a case where a shop pulled a bulb to check it for legality, type or wattage. An occasional check of a bizzare yellow, blue or arc welder brightness may happen. Some idiots do push the envelope.

Don't believe salesmen on a telephone touting DOT, CARB or TUV certifications. If it's not in print, it's 100% a lie. A headlight with bonafide certifications is worth 3x and costs a lot more to research and design, so they will aggressively promote ALL legitimate certifications in PRINT. This is the only way to recover the extra development and certification costs. They surely won't forget to mention certifications in print lol. This is why Hella assemblies cost so much more than chinese knockoff junk. If you ever buy a race wheel with "verbal" DOT or TUV certifications and take it to a track, you're liable to die from wheel breakage. I've witnessed it. It's a very common issue....guys with 5 liter mustangs found out the hard way after buying knockoff cobra wheels off ebay. Imagine taking a corner at 120MPH at 0.8G and having your wheel separate from the hub center. Some wheels even had fake certifications embossed on them. There are even fake Ford Racing wheels being sold...Ford chases them around China with a team of patent right investigators and lawyers.

I'm not criticizing your headlights. I'm sure they look nice and probably perform fine, but hey, they are simply not legal. I'm not judging. I'm just providing insight to readers who may prefer to run illegal or legal. The 80/100W off-road bulbs sure as heck aren't legal lol.