Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Best headlight / HID options for poor headlights on 2007 Focus?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There must be something wrong with your headlight assemblies, voltage regulation or you're expecting them to throw rude levels of light like somebody running an illegal bulb or genuine HID system. The '05 to '07 headlight system throws light with "the best of them" unless the reflector is somehow corroded, filled with condensation or the plastic has discolored or faded. The plastic can fade in 5 yrs if the car is parked outside in sunbelt. If you're expecting them to throw more light than any other conventional system, that can only happen with illegal wattage off-road only bulbs. If you aren't the original owner of your car, it's possible that you have aftermarket headlight assemblies that often have inferior optics.

Silverstar is stock wattage. They design the element to squeeze out a few percent more brightness, but this costs bulb life with very little more brightness. The Silverstars throw max lumens for a given wattage, so the usually only last a couple years while standard bulbs last about 4x that.

Idiots with illegal (rude) bulbs are typically running something on the order of 100w high beam and 80w low beam. Generally speaking you will need to run relays and larger wire or the harness will melt. I have good vision so stock is fine. I see no need to blind other drivers.

PS: My headlights are 100% stock with original bulbs. They are not much dimmer than my BMW.