Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Need advice on upgrade plan
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Need advice on upgrade plan

Hey all,

So I have a 2013 SE hatch with the 6 speaker system and I'm starting to think about upgrading the audio. I want to keep the factory head unit because I want to keep Sync. I don't want to go too crazy- mostly just some cleaner sound. I don't need extra volume or anything like that, and I certainly don't want to have bass that shakes the car apart!

I'm very new to the car audio world, but I have some experience in home theater, so I'm not a total n00b. I did read through some of the stickies in this section of the forum, but some of it seemed geared more towards mk1 and 2 focuses, so I may have missed some of the info I needed (sorry if I am repeating questions in the stickies!).

So here is my plan and the equipment I think I need to get the job done...

First, I want a subwoofer, but I think I want to focus my initial efforts on upgrading the rest of the system, and then get a sub a bit later when I replenish my funds. What I'm thinking is, get a LOC like the LC6i (several other mk3 installs have used this and rated it highly). I've read that a LOC is highly recommended when using the factory HU. Then I'll get a 5 channel amp and upgraded speakers- 4 woofers and 2 tweeters- to replace all stock speakers. I think I will need crossovers for the two tweeters because they are in parallel with the front woofers?

I think that is all I need to get the base 6 speakers setup? Am I missing anything?
Do I really need a 6 channel LOC? I think the factory HU is only a 4 channel?
Do most multi-channel car subs roll off the base to the non-sub channels? I would hate to drive around for a few months with absolutely no bass, so do I just wait and buy the sub at the same time?
Also, I can read specs all I want, but are there good car audio review sites to read up on how different LOCs/amps/speakers perform? There's a local car audio shop I'm going to check out to listen to some systems, but I'm afraid they will have very limited demos.
Anything else to consider when deciding on speakers/subs/amps/etc (SNR, etc)?

I hope these questions aren't too dumb and thanks for getting me on track!