Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109390
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

Points 369, Level 7
Points: 369, Level: 7 Points: 369, Level: 7 Points: 369, Level: 7
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Okay I'm finally back. I know I was really persistent on utilizing the sohc trans, but I really just wanted to do what was easier, and since I had it on hand already I wanted to try. Good news and bad news though. After looking at the side gears or spider gears, whatever you choose to call them, the "outer" diameter part of the gears seem the same and probably would have worked, but I didn't use them. When everyone said the cv shafts are different between the two transmissions, I assumed it was the length that was different. But the number of teeth on the end of the cv shaft is different. Those teeth are on the inside of 2 of the side gears. So I wasn't able to do what I intended, which was to salvage the sohc gears, and exchange it for a spare. But I went to the junkyard today and the good news is they had two dohc mtx-75's. One was from an 03 and had the different shift linkage, and one was a 2000. I got the 2000 for simplicity's sake.

Didn't cost me anything to exchange it, except my time. I don't know how many miles are on it, but I'm just going to install this transmission whole and hope for the best. I bought a clutch kit with a slave, so I'm going to clean this trans up and install the new clutch and slave tomorrow. I'll wait until monday to install the transmission itself, as I'm waiting on new cv axle seals from the dealer.

On a side note, yes there were a bunch of sohc focuses..foci...? There were about a dozen candidates out there, and only 2 were dohc manuals, and there was one dohc with an auto.