Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Looking at a 2013 SE 5spd - Talk me into a Powershift
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #68
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
I have read all of the complaint threads, and a lot of complaints have been from the way the car reacts and runs on 87 octane. It will work on 87 albeit like shiit. Another common problem is drivers who don't understand the accelerate by wire vs having an actual cable attached to a throttle body. If you try to ease on the gas as you pull away from anything the car is confused as to what you want to do. It doesn't know if you are in stop and go traffic or leaving a stop sign/red light, unless you convey that with your foot and ankle. It will hesitate, lurch and stumble as it isn't sure if there is a stopped car right in front of you or not? Once you put premium in it, and learn how to communicate your desires through the accelerate by wire system and understand the functionality of the computer automated six speed manual transmission, most all of the DCT issues are gone, unless you actually own a unit that has one of the known mechanical issues. It is as simple as that, yet that is way more complex than most can handle.
This sounds more like excuses for the DCT's shortcomings and one shouldn't need a class to learn how the tranny works and how to drive it,it should be easy to drive no matter who buys it,this isn't some highend race tranny or something. I've driven several other manufacturer's DCTs and none of them behaved as badly as the Focus' and I've driven 4 of Focus' version. This car is marketed to all ages and should be as easy for someone who 80 years old to drive as it should be for someone who just got their license.
The DCT is a fail on Ford's part and they know it but have dug a big hole by putting a tranny that hasn't finished baking into a new car.