Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - New USA bound diesels?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101317
What I Drive: 2013 VW Golf 2.5 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 n00btard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Now that Chevy has proven that a diesel will be no more frugal, slower, and cost a hell of a lot more than today's gasoline engine, I bet the fervor for diesels wanes a bit in the coming years.

I wonder if the Jetta TDI would've been so popular if they had offered a truly competitive gasoline powertrain in that car too.
Dude, seriously?

#1 Gassers won't ever make the low end torque compression makes. It's just never going to happen. Never. The only motors with more low end torque are electric. Torque is better for towing and general hauling of ass in hill country --and it's just better for camping period.

#2 Diesel isn't slow. My wife is buying a TDI Cup Jetta for the very reason that its faster than a 2.5L Autobahn and a 2.0T GLI --all the while getting better milage. I'd own a GTD if they sold it here --but they don't. The VW .:R line is even going compression according to an interview with their director --and I'll be on that like white on rice if it comes out here.

#3 You left out how long a compression motor lasts. 500K miles is expected out of most Ford Diesel trucks and VW TDIs.