Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Are new 2013 Focus's having same issues as 2012?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
Every car out there wins magazine "accolades". They fade with the next issue and the next batch of freebies given to the writers.
Yeeaaahhh but the ones I mentioned just came out, nearly 2 years after the car's introduction. Try again.

Quote:
They give more points for being noisy than quiet. Not exactly the criteria most people prioritize.

That being said they were critical of the "auto" transmission.
Please actually read the accolade before paraphrasing it. I see phrases like "A Focus might cost slightly more than other cars in its compact class, but for a few bucks extra, it's profoundly better." And "It's as if Ford built the Focus's structure to compete with Mercedes-Benz, the steering with Porsche, and the suspension with Lotus." And "But even the lowliest Focus is suffused with character and quality far above its price."

Yes they called the automatic a "dullard", and I don't completely disagree. But, like them, I see past the one main flaw of the car and recognize that all the other attributes outweigh the flaw by a large margin. Perhaps someday you will come to realize the same.

Try again.

Quote:
Sure, it's low price was a major contributing factor, but look at consumer reports, only the sedan scores high in the sedan segment, it doesn't excel in the hatchback/wagon category, nor is it in their 25 recommended cars under $25k list.
CR prioritizes lack of reported gripes over style and driving excitement. Always has. "Not exactly the criteria I prioritize."

Try again.

As for the longevity of the tranny, you're new here but there have been several posters with well over 50k miles who've reported no issues with the DCT. One was even over 100k miles already. And perusing the free Carfax reports for the high mileage Focus listings on autotrader, I haven't seen any mentioning "transmission service" or the like. There's no evidence yet of early failure of the DCT as a whole, aside from the faulty seals that are being replaced for most.