crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
If it has not happened to you IT WILL eventually, show me a KNOWN 200K+ mile SPI that has not had the head fixed, you wont find one. The SPI's are well capable of 200+k miles, just not with the orig head, it has seen 1000's of hot/cold cycles by then. Mine made it to 173k miles before it dropped and my last focus did it at 98k miles.
Just out of curiosity I searched auto trader for 2000-2004 foci with over 200K miles anywhere in the country. I know it is not a scientific survey, but I found the results interesting.

There were 14 foci for sale with over 200k miles. Here is the breakdown by model:
zx3 - 1
zx5 - 0
zts - 2
se sedan - 7
se wagon - 2
lx sedan - 2

Of course, the adds did not list motor types on the SE foci, and did not mention whether the engine had been changed or not.

I found it interesting that 2 out of 14 definitely had the SPI, 3/14 definitely did not have the SPI, and 9/14 may or may not have had the SPI.

Of course I cannot prove it, but I would bet that at least one of them has the original motor.

when you consider that a 2000 focus would have to average 16,667 miles per year to be at 200k, and a 2004 would have to average 28,571/year it does not surprise me that we do not see a lot of 200K+ SPIs. BTW - the average milage driven by americans is 13,476. (I am at about 13k/year)

I know this is a major issue, but I do not think we can prove that every single SPI will drop a valve seat.