Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Looking at a 2013 SE 5spd - Talk me into a Powershift
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #43
roderunner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108779
What I Drive: 2014 White Plat. Fusion 1.6L stick

Points 113, Level 2
Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 roderunner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Technically you should not push start a modern car as the raw unburnt fuel can damage the catalyst so that's not really a great idea.
Technically, it also stresses the transmission to use it as an engine crank. But as an emergency measure, the capability is priceless.

Quote:
5th gear is fundamentally too short at 0.815:1 vs the 0.702:1 6th gear in the DCT, or the 0.625:1 in the Cruze with the eco gear set for 6th gear.
I agree. The 6 speed would be ideal (isn't it used with the European Focus?). Too bad Ford elected not to make it available here except with the ST. Still, the MT produces excellent mileage even without the 6th speed. I was impressed on a recent 165 mi. freeway round trip to average 39.9 MPH door to door with less than a thousand miles on the engine!

Of course I'm biased -- we live in the hills where driving is still fun (when there is no traffic). Having had 38 stick shifts over the years, I'd have to say the Focus manual transmission is among the best. I've had a variety of automatics as well and drive my wife's Edge when necessary, but frankly, even with the select shift, it's boring for me.

Obviously the auto makes more sense for a lot of folks for various reasons, and they sell a lot of them. But factoring in the lower price, performance edge, better reliability, comparable FE, and fun factor, IMO the Focus 5MT is a better toy to play with.