Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #34
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 231, Level 4
Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"...And I will still be exchanging the sohc trans after I get through with it..."

OK I get it now. So what your saying is if the gears in the SOHC trans work, your going to exchange them with the broken gears then return the SOHC trans with the broken gears in it and get an MTX75 from the wrecker?

Well, if the SOHC trans was ready to go into the crusher, well I guess you could say the wrecker isn't actually losing any money - you just diverted the SOHC trans for a bit from the scrap metal waste stream, removed a few small key parts, then returned it to the scrap metal waste stream - and Lord knows they probably have a yard full of SOHC transes because of the dropping valve seat issue in those engines. And I certainly won't defend wreckers anyway - the pick and pulls around here stick you for a yard entry fee and you have to pay it to see if they even have a decent vehicle you can get any usable parts from.

But you just blew your moral high ground to get all unappreciative of my comments I think! In any case, why was what I was assuming unreasonable? You provided no logical reason for holding on to the SOHC transmission. Now what your saying makes perfect sense - and please do let us know if the side gears work.